[tor-talk] tor project website change

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Mar 30 18:34:36 PDT 2019

On 03/30/2019 01:40 PM, Punk wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 06:06:07 -0400
> grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "
>> DEFEND AGAINST SURVEILLANCE
>> Tor Browser prevents someone watching your connection from knowing
>> what websites you visit. All anyone monitoring your browsing habits
>> can see is that you're using Tor.
>> "
>>
>> This is false [1], and intentionally preloaded
>> with [use case and definitional] weasel words [2].
>

> 	Good to see that there's at least one voice telling the truth.
>
> 	On the other hand, we have Mirimir's comment....
>
> 	"....Tor works well enough that implementing one of the newer designs
> seems unlikely"
>

> 	LMAO!!!! Tor works 'well enough' mirimir? Well enough for whom? I do agree that tor works well enough though. It works well enough as NSA controlled opposition. Is that what you meant?

I mean "well enough" in the sense that nobody (as far as I know) has
seriously started implementing one of the newer, and arguably better,
anonymity systems. Such as ...

HORNET, a system that enables high-speed end-to-
end anonymous channels by leveraging next generation network
architectures. HORNET is designed as a low-latency onion routing
system that operates at the network layer ...
Chen et al. (2015)

Riffle, a system for bandwidth- and computation-efficient anonymous
communication. Riffle addresses the problems of DC-Nets and verifiable
mixnets, while offering the same level of anonymity.
Kwon (2015)

Anyway, that statement doesn't represent my opinion on Tor's merits.
It's just an observation on what's happened. Or what hasn't happened, as
it were.