Phys.org: IBM announces that its System Q One quantum computer has reached its 'highest quantum volume to date'

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Mar 6 22:36:34 PST 2019

On 2019-03-07 06:59, Punk wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 17:02:41 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I consider it virtually axiomatic that there is no invention that can be used purely for helping freedom, or used purely for harming freedom.�
>
> 	True,  objects are morally neutral. They can be used for good or to harm people. Scientific knowledge is usually neutral as well.
>

>> .But I think there tends to be a bias in the system that allows individuals to use inventions FOR freedom.�
>
> 	Which system are you referring to? The system of nature? Western political systems? Or?

Capitalist economy, as it has existed for thousands of years.  Each
technological advance gives the state more means of control, and the
individual more means of resisting control.  Individuals, however, are
naturally more numerous and more technologically advanced that
governments, and there are a lot of private businesses.

Soviet Union used to have armed guards on photocopiers.

When I went to Cuba, if a Cuban wanted to make a phone call, he had to
go to a police station with a policeman visibly listening in on the line
so that he would not even think of saying something he should not say.

Obviously point to point and one to many communication is liberating, as
we can tell by the efforts of terror states to control them.

The primary threat to privacy today is giant corporations in the pocket
of the government sweet talking private individuals into *voluntarily*
handing over their data.  For example viber by default backs up all your
viber messages in the clear to google drive, where the greatest AI in
the world does a pattern match for topics of interest.

But, on the other hand, encryption and point to point communication is
inherently resistant to the state.  I just did a bunch of transactions
by bitcoin that were either politically incorrect, circumvented
government regulation, or both.  Bitcoin plus encrypted messaging gives
me liberty that no one used to have.

Twitter censors, but gab does not.  Viber theoretically encrypts, but
then cheerfully backs up all your messages in the clear to the worst
possible location, but Whatsapp really is encrypted.

Giant corporations tend to be in the pocket of the state, but this
creates room for smaller businesses and corporations to compete with
them.  Google is losing its grip after purging all its smartest
engineers for mansplaining.  All its new products are crap, its self
driving car runs into people, and its AI is getting dumber.