What do you think happened here?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Mar 25 04:53:45 PDT 2019

On 03/24/2019 01:03 PM, Ryan Carboni wrote:
> https://mchap.io/that-time-the-city-of-seattle-accidentally-gave-me-32m-emails-for-40-dollars4997.html
>
>> Somewhere towards the end of the call, I asked them if it was okay to keep the emails. Why not at least ask, right?
>
>> Funny enough, in the middle of that question, my internet died and interrupted the call for the first time in the six months I lived in that house. Odd. It came back ten minutes later, and I dialed back into the conference line, but the mood of the call pretty much 180’d. They told me:
>
>> 1. All files were to be deleted.
>
>> 2. Seattle would hire [Kroll](https://www.kroll.com/en-us/default.aspx) to scan my hard drives to prove deletion
>
>> 3. Agreeing to #1 and #2 would give me full legal indemnification.
>
>> This isn't something I'm even remotely cool with, so we ended the call a couple minutes later, and agreed to have our lawyers speak going forward.
>
> Sudden DDOS attack after attempt to stall for time?
> I tried writing an email about this before, but my Linux machine suddenly froze.
> Tempting to claim that naive implementations of IP stacks should be used for home users and authentication servers (with the rest using standard implementations). Journalists certainly should use a VPN, NAT isn’t a firewall, but it is pretty close.
>
> Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

FYI: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18257867

It's a little odd that someone mucking about with ~iffy FOIA requests
doesn't have a decent firewall, and isn't using at least a VPN.

But at least he had a lawyer on retainer.

It's a little hard to imagine that the City of Seattle IT folks would
try to pwn his computer. Or even have his ISP disconnect him. At least,
in the time frame of a few minutes.