Phys.org: IBM announces that its System Q One quantum computer has reached its 'highest quantum volume to date'

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:11:18 PST 2019

On 3/6/19, Punk <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 17:02:41 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I consider it virtually axiomatic that there is no invention that can be
>> used purely for helping freedom, or used purely for harming freedom.
>
> 	True,  objects are morally neutral. They can be used for good or to harm
> people. Scientific knowledge is usually neutral as well.
>

>> .But I think there tends to be a bias in the system that allows
>> individuals to use inventions FOR freedom.

Ties to the cost of the system.
"Strong" opensource crypto has always been generally
free and running on commodity computers most anyone
could buy or access, wide open to public competition.
Q hardware is different, it's hardware, non #OpenFab stuff,
even assuming economies of scale, those same end users
will probably remain priced and law'd out of access decades
past when GovCorp 0wn them with it. Unless they do #OpenFabs
to spool up their own production of open things.
So all they have is opensource post quantum cryptosystem
software, which is right now in as relatively unproven
state as the Q hardware is, but with assuredly orders
of magnitude less money being thrown at PQC development,
excepting fishy organizations like secret NIST and
other influence on competitions.

The importance of #OpenFabs simply cannot be understated.
Even if only to ensure access to secure opensource platforms
upon which to run opensouce PQC software.