impersonating Juan, a quick test

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Mon Jul 15 06:39:57 PDT 2019

Sorry, I wasn't looking at the list yesterday. My spoofed
header attempt used my actual cock.li login at port 587
of mx1.cock.li... I tried sending it with a "MAIL FROM:
punk..", but those didn't go through, so then I just
used the same address I had authenticated with, and did
an extremely rudimentary header spoof in the DATA
section.  This made it through, although it had my cock.li
address as a "Return-Path" in the headers, and then I sort
of got bored and moved on to something else....

Of course, I tried just blasting it through cock.li without
any SMTP authentication first, but as I suspected it's not
an open relay :). I had zero confidence that this would've
worked but had to try. The whole point of doing the
spoofed headers using cock.li's server was to make it look
authentic... You can spoof the headers from almost
anywhere that lets you send SMTP but I wanted cock.li
servers to show up in the headers. I considered it a fail
because of what I mentioned in the first paragraph, but
I haven't looked at the previous impersonation emails
closely enough to say for sure how they happened, but as
I recall they were better than mine (they were routed
through cock.li servers but I don't remember any
give-away "return-path" header or anything else). I'll take
another look at them when I have time to see what I may
have missed.

cheers
John