Decentralized Storage Comparison

Punk punks at tfwno.gf
Thu Jan 31 15:04:32 PST 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 20:51:44 -0700
Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> However, all of these distributed storage systems are similarly
> vulnerable, more or less. You are potentially screwed if an adversary
> can 1) peer directly with you, and get your IP address; and 2) send you
> file fragments that are (even though encrypted) identifiable by hash or
> whatever.

	Well by running freenet or something like it you are guaranteed to store and forward  fragments of 'bad'(LMAO) files. That's the basic design of the system. And that means an 'adversary' like the american nazi govt can persecute any freenet user if they so choose. They don't even need to explicitly send parts of an 'ilegal' file to a particular client.

> If you didn't encrypt locally, they may find bad stuff (even
> if only as temp files). And if you did encrypt locally, they may jail
> you for contempt unless you reveal the passphrase(s).

	in other words, if you live in a police state you are fucked. There clearly is no crpytographic  'workaround' here.

> So anyway, if you use any of these distributed storage systems, make
> sure that you peer only with people you trust,

	that may be better but it's not too practical.