APNewsBreak: Undercover agents target cybersecurity watchdog

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sat Jan 26 13:46:39 PST 2019

APNewsBreak: Undercover agents target cybersecurity watchdog

> NEW YORK (AP) — The researchers who reported that Israeli software was used to spy on Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s inner circle before his gruesome death are being targeted in turn by international undercover operatives, The Associated Press has found.
>
> Twice in the past two months, men masquerading as socially conscious investors have lured members of the Citizen Lab internet watchdog group to meetings at luxury hotels to quiz them for hours about their work exposing Israeli surveillance and the details of their personal lives. In both cases, the researchers believe they were secretly recorded.

[...]

https://www.apnews.com/9f31fa2aa72946c694555a5074fc9f42

I was happy to see that Israeli malware vendor NSO has "zero competence"
in the field of human intelligence, and that their efforts to penetrate
Citizen Labs harmed no one's interests but their own.  The academic
security researchers from Citizen Lab spotted NSO's wannabe intelligence
officers as hostiles at once, which comes as no surprise:  "Security is
security" in any context.  The Citizen Lab guise demonstrated a real
understanding of their subject matter by taking effective steps to steal
the initiative early, with (apparently) decisive results.

https://citizenlab.ca/

:o)