Apple Talks Shit About Privacy at CES

Punk punks at tfwno.gf
Mon Jan 7 12:35:08 PST 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:50:47 -0500
Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> I would describe that episode as a publicity stunt cooked up by the FBI
> and DoD contractor Apple.  If I recall correctly, Apple claimed it
> "could not" unlock the device in question; but after public attention
> started to die down, a 3rd party forensics shop did unlock it.
>
> Meanwhile, back in the network security world, Declan Mccullagh reported:
>
> https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-deluged-by-police-demands-to-decrypt-iphones/
>

> "ATF says no law enforcement agency could unlock a defendant's iPhone,
> but Apple can 'bypass the security software' if it chooses. Apple has
> created a police waiting list because of high demand."

	plus

	https://www.yahoo.com/news/iphone-security-six-digit-pass-153539020.html

	"apple shitPhones protected by a six-digit pass code 'may' no longer be safe thanks to a cheap tool being marketed to police that can unlock a smartphone in just days."

	https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-ios-passcode-crack-revealed-234705097.html

	"A shitPhone can be unlocked with a virtual keyboard pretending to type lots of passcodes, a security researcher revealed Friday"