Apple Talks Shit About Privacy at CES

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Jan 7 11:50:47 PST 2019

On 1/6/19 3:56 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/05/apple-ces-2019-privacy-advertising/
> https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/18/fbi-apple-iphone-explainer/
> https://www.android.com/security-center/
> https://source.android.com/security
> https://apple.com/privacy
>
> "What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone."

> That privacy priority came
> into clear focus three years ago when Apple refused to assist the FBI
> in unlocking an iPhone that belonged to a suspected terrorist in San
> Bernardino, CA.

I would describe that episode as a publicity stunt cooked up by the FBI
and DoD contractor Apple.  If I recall correctly, Apple claimed it
"could not" unlock the device in question; but after public attention
started to die down, a 3rd party forensics shop did unlock it.

Meanwhile, back in the network security world, Declan Mccullagh reported:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-deluged-by-police-demands-to-decrypt-iphones/

"ATF says no law enforcement agency could unlock a defendant's iPhone,
but Apple can 'bypass the security software' if it chooses. Apple has
created a police waiting list because of high demand."

:o)