NSA GHIDRA Disassembler Vault7

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 14:26:44 PST 2019

 I first used a "disassembler" in late 1980, a program that disassembled 8080 machine code into 8080 assembly language.  ( it was called "Resource").  I recall my first (comic) "disappointment" was that it didn't somehow regenerate the original labels and comments...!!!
This sounds like it:    https://gopherproxy.meulie.net/gopher.floodgap.com/0/archive/walnut-creek-cd-simtel/CPMHELP/RESOURCE.HLP
"RESOURCE Disassembler
Overall structure
Sample of RESOURCE usage
Disassembly steps
Description of commands
Watch for... (tips)
Quick command summary
ZESOURCE: Extension of RESOURCE
                 RESOURCE: disassembler for 8080 programs
                     by Ward Christensen (312) 849-6279
" RESOURCE commands are inconsistent at best.   - RESOURCE is a kludge based  on
years of disassembler experience and hacking,  and was never "planned" -  just
coded sitting at a tube, and modified over 2 years before being contributed to
the CP/M UG  (1/80).  For example,  to kill a  symbol: k.label but  to kill  a
control value:  caddr,k and  to kill a comment:  ;addr, but RESOURCE does  the
job like no other I have seen.

N-O-T-E: Pardon the editorial,  but I feel hardware  without good software  is
useless to 99%  of us.  Most  good software has  to be paid  for.  I  strongly
support the legitimate purchase of licensed software.  I do not regularly  use
any programs which I have not  purchased.  (Yes, I do occasionally "try"  one,
but then  buy it  if I  plan on  using it).   I have  been asked  by  software
businesses to NOT  distribute RESOURCE -  because of it's  ability to  produce
good .asm source quickly.  But, there are so many disassemblers out, why not a
good, conversational  one?   Please use  it  in the  spirit  in which  it  was
contributed:  to  enlarge  your understanding  of  the micro-  computer  world
around you, and to allow you to customize programs which you legitimately own,
for your own use.

Ward Christensen built what I understand was the first computer bulletin-board system, which he called "CBBS", in Chicago.I became friends with the owner and operator of the second (?) CBBS, called "CBBS-NW", Jim Willing, who lived in Beaverton Oregon in 1980.
             Jim Bell