The Great Gatsby

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 10:38:23 PST 2019

Ordinarily no one would condemn the existence of spoiled children (of
which the majority are middle aged), but then one must also remember
what their ancestors were capable of. (bafflingly our oppressors could
only dumb down our education, it has yet to make our reading lists
diverse)

The "death car" as the newspapers called it, didn't stop; it came out
of the gathering darkness, wavered tragically for a moment and then
disappeared around the next bend. Michaelis wasn't even sure of its
color--he told the first policeman that it was light green. The other
car, the one going toward New York, came to rest a hundred yards
beyond, and its driver hurried back to where Myrtle Wilson, her life
violently extinguished, knelt in the road and mingled her thick, dark
blood with the dust.

Michaelis and this man reached her first but when they had torn open
her shirtwaist still damp with perspiration, they saw that her left
breast was swinging loose like a flap and there was no need to listen
for the heart beneath. The mouth was wide open and ripped at the
corners as though she had choked a little in giving up the tremendous
vitality she had stored so long.

And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of
Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of
Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream
must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He
did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that
vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic
rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by
year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no
matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . .
. And one fine morning----