The New York Times: Chuck Peddle Dies at 82; His $25 Chip Helped Start the PC Age

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Fri Dec 27 18:07:19 PST 2019

coderman wrote:
> [...]

Yeah but it wasn't a turbo model. It also had an ST-225 Seagate disk
drive with 'stiction' problems. Had to slap it like an old tube tv set
to get it to spin up before the beast errored out.

I ran the coherent on an NCR 386 'tablet' that appeared to have been
made for route salesman use that a German ham living in the area gave me
(I was using an insurance company terminal on Packet radio and it was an
'upgrade'). It came with compiled-on-the-machine Linux, pre-X and I was
having fun porting my OS9 knowledge to that OS when I accidentally
munched the OS, so I found the Coherent OS disks laying around and had
fun with it for a while. XP until it ran out. Then back to Linux/Debian.
Currently Debian 8 on an old toshiba 32 bit laptop. Need to upgrade to
64bit one of these days if only because any attempt to update the
system, with all sorts of files missing from the repositories, tries to
destroy the OS. I still think the thing about 64 bit being more secure
than 32 is a lie albeit it IS much faster.

Rr