It'll be decades before we'll have another Great American Novel (or Film)

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 13:47:13 PST 2019

There were books that captured the spirit of America so well that they
are cherished by literate men for decades or centuries into the
future. We don't have them anymore not because our writers are less
capable, we don't have them anymore because the great evil that
pervades these lands seeps into our culture, an expression of secret
pain and hidden traumas that devastate America.

These are smart capable people, how can they not notice? Why wouldn't
they make a veiled commentary on our state of affairs (at least from
time to time)?

We have great fiction still, yes, but we wish to forget them. Or the
fiction isn't about America. It is terrible. Everything is shameful
now. America is a beautiful country of freedom, or maybe was, and
hopefully will be.

One day we will have art worthy of her name.