The New York Times: India Adopts the Tactic of Authoritarians: Shutting Down the Internet

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:32:33 PST 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 10:26 PM, Harish Prasanna <harishperfect at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sighhh.. My friends in India claim that the internet shutdown is good as it prevents fake news and propaganda from spreading. Especially with a toxic whatapp sharing culture in India, naive ones will believe and add more fuel to the fire. Texting/SMS is also shutdown. The govt., imposed a 2 day shutdown ending on Monday. But the ban is still not lifted. And it is just month 6 of the newly re-elected government. Sighhh..

we know what comes next:

- for safety, end to end encryption is denied; only *approved* communication channels allowed!
- national security demands you install government software on your devices. this is for your safety!
- by the way, foreign companies are a threat and not trusted. only domestic service providers allowed!
etc, etc.

plenty of time to hit authoritarian bingo in the years ahead...  ~_~;

best regards,