The New York Times: India Adopts the Tactic of Authoritarians: Shutting Down the Internet

Harish Prasanna harishperfect at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:26:58 PST 2019

Sighhh.. My friends in India claim that the internet shutdown is good as it prevents fake news and propaganda from spreading. Especially with a toxic whatapp sharing culture in India, naive ones will believe and add more fuel to the fire. Texting/SMS is also shutdown. The govt., imposed a 2 day shutdown ending on Monday. But the ban is still not lifted. And it is just month 6 of the newly re-elected government. Sighhh..