Questions about Other Crypto Discussion Forums

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Dec 14 23:11:51 PST 2019

On 12/14/19 11:32, Spirit of Nikopol wrote:
> I noticed some topical overlap between the cypherpunks mailing list and
> the cryptography mailing list at https://www.metzdowd.com/.
>
> Is there any relationship between these two lists or the people who
> administer them?
Not really. The cryptography list is more of a technical list and
moderated (*NOT* censored, but moderated) for topic. Cypherpunks is
unmoderated, with a nominal topic of cryptography and privacy-related
interests, and this nominal topic is stretched quite thin on occasion,
with such things as the race and nationality of certain government
officials somehow being qualified as related to that topic... or maybe not.

I wouldn't even call the cypherpunks list an example of what
cryptography would be if it were unmoderated, as it's something else
entirely. I believe in the cypherpunk ethos, but not in a lot of this
anti-Semitic, racist, ageist, misogynist, xenophobic, "label anything I
don't like with 'NSA-'", anarchist
all-laws-are-bad-fuck-the-pigs-and-burn-all-the-law-books, etc rubbish.

And before anyone even asks me these questions: No, Tor is not perfect;
it certainly beats nothing, but shouldn't be considered a complete
countersurveillance solution in and of itself for many threat models.
No, the laws in the US, as they exist now are not perfect, far from it
(the imperfections start with the Electoral College and drug
prohibition). Yes, governments have committed some first-class fuckups,
this includes but is by no means limited to the US government (China and
North Korea come to mind as well, but I'm sure there are others; show me
a perfect government and I'll show you my $100 million oceanfront
mansion in South Dakota).

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com