IQNets: user classes, network locality, quid pro quo, torrents at core, on gaming reputation

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Dec 12 19:35:08 PST 2019

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 09:06:24AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 04:46:44PM -0300, Punk - Stasi 2.0 wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:49:48 +1100
> > Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
> > > Storage metrics, just as with network metrics, are also maintained in
> > > order to establish fairness - quid pro quo.
> >
> > 	storage of what
>
> Something that may or may not be encrypted, as in, I hand out a bunch
> of say 100KiB "storage undertaking" tokens - if they're on my mobile
> phone, compared with a permanently connected computer, that's a
> connectivity metric, and of course permanently connected tokens are
> more valuable.
>
> This is similar to Freenet, with a strong emphasis on quid pro quo,
> and "anonymous" or at least intended to be.
>
> If I want to upload a new 'tube, and I want it to be accessible at
> high speed in this overlay net, I need it split into suitably small
> chunks, and I need each chunk suitably replicated (so that if I
> replicate each chuck say 3 times, they're not all replicated on
> mobile phones normally only on at the same time - thus the need to
> store storage metrics.

One consequence of quid pro quo (QPQ) cache tokens, is that if I want
my latest 'tube to be replicated X times, and I am relying on QPQ
cache of other nodes, I will need to offer the amount of storage I am
seeking - if my vid is 100MiB, and I want 3x replication, and I must
QPQ (i.e. offer a storage token in order to obtain a storage tokens
from others), this means I must offer to cache 300MiB, in order to
get my vid cached 3x.

Plus presumably I am storing my vid, which means 4x copies of the vid.

Next, as torrents do today, sane P2P protocols should strongly
incentivize "making available for upload, that which I download/ view".

> Desperate to upload my 'tube, I have a few options
>   - find a free hosting service
>   - host it myself
>   - ask friends to host it
>   - trade my own storage anonymized storage undertakings with others,
>     and then make use of some randomized combination
>
> Having 'friends' is simply a way to use something that exists (actual
> friends, if I have any), to increase the difficulty of people gaming
> the metrics e.g. of a utilized storage undertaking.  "Crowdsourced"
> metrics are something bittorrent does a bit of in this way...

Availability metrics can include, for the proactive vlogger,
randomized "QPQ cache block" checks - d/l and check the SHA, store
availability/ validity metrics accordingly.