"The worship of billionaires has become our shittiest religion"

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Dec 12 17:25:26 PST 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 11:15:15AM +1000, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> On 2019-12-13 10:52, Razer wrote:
> > jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Without billionaires, we don't get the kind of technology that needs a
> > > billion dollars.
> > >
> > > Some people, quite a lot of people, get rich by stealing it, for
> > > example Biden, Obama, and the Clintons.  But most rich people get rich
> > > by creating wealth, or inherited it from parents that created wealth.
> > >

> > You forgot the pirates of Silicon Valley in your list, and every single
> > startup that ripped off PARC and Netscape. There's no reason technology
> > should cost billions of dollars except for the desire of, not the
> > creators...
>
> Without billionaires, no access to space.
>
> Without wealthy people, no transistors.
>
> Every transistor, every integrated circuit, is built by an engineer who
> learned from an engineer who learned from an engineer ... who learned from the
> fairchildren, who learned under Shockley, who arguably invented the
> transistor, and certainly invented how make reliable transistors, and make
> them in large numbers.
>
> Lenin discovered that all industry, including all steelmaking, had been shut
> down because the people who made steel were dead or fled, so he had to hire a
> bunch of people from big American companies to re-open the steel foundries and
> train people to manage the making of steel.

Every truth, when contended as universal, shall be proven false in the
exceptions.

Stallman and GNU.

In the age where creativity can be manifested in "digital space", for
the cost of a second hand computer and some electricity, the creative
individual can create, and share wholely and fully, without shekels.

Typically, said individuals sell out for 30 pieces of silver.

Occasionally a Richard Stallman appears.

Richard inspired many.