resource starvation attacks - Re: iqnets: opportunistic XYZ, e.g. "begin xmit"

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Dec 10 16:21:48 PST 2019

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 12:23:57PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Again, network resources include:
> >
> >   - b/w (bandwidth)
> >
> >   - b/w availability
> >
> >   - latency
> >
> >   - latency availability
> >
> >   - data storage
> >
> >   - data storage availability
> >
> >   - link count
> >
> >   - link count availability
> >

> > Are we yet missing a basic "network level" resource?
>

> The lone neurone strikes again:
>
> A typical network use pattern is:
>
>   - connect
>   - begin download
>
> So link reservation windows where the pertinent parameter is time T,
> may be complemented with "data xmit" total, either at link setup,
> and/ or "shortly" after link has been set up.
>
> So this protocol might be e.g.
>
>   - connect, default time reservation e.g. 2 minutes
>   - begin download
>   - (e.g. HTTP) headers identify the download as being say 160MiB
>   - link/switch request to modify "T=2 minutes" to "xmit=170MiB"
>   - ack or nack from peer nodes as they are willing/able

Of course, X bps for T period, is a similar way to say
transfer Y MiB "at your convenience" and nego bandwidth.

Remember that

  (total) xfer = bandwidth x time

and so of course

  time = xfer / bandwidth

and similarly

  bandwidth = xfer / time

, and so pick the forumla you need for the inputs you have,
to determine the request/ consequence (e.g. what to nego).