US - PUBLIC SYSTEM

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Fri Dec 6 14:13:07 PST 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, December 6, 2019 8:01 PM, other.arkitech <other.arkitech at protonmail.com> wrote:
> The typical reaction to this is nah, you choose tax or anonymity, not both. Well, that's it, it can be done.

1.)
they all missed the first question: what's your threat model?

"anonymity" has been used to describe a transparent web proxy and a datagram overlay protocol, and everything in between.

2.)
"It is straight forward to move on from secp256k1 to other"

this is actually not trivial! downgrade attacks are a real threat vector, seamless key migration technically challenging, deprecating legacy cipher suites in decentralized systems a significant challenge...

3.)
" The system is locked to work over IPv4 exclusively for one reason. Scarcity. IPv4 i used to control the number of nodes behind an address and thus control sibyl attack. This is the only anonymity-issue I have AFAIK and dont really know how solve with IPv6 or onion."

thoughts:
- exposing IPv4 betrays anonymity (without additional protections)
- IPv4 addresses are a very poor sybil defense.
- IPv6 ORCHID addresses (non-routable virtual addrs) via Tor overlay would be a significant improvement! E.g. https://www.onioncat.org/
- "This is the only anonymity issue" is not reassuring when this issue is a fatal flaw!

Also, "Q: anonymous taxation? lolwut" - hah

 ref: http://otheravu4v6pitvw.onion/downloads/misc/answers_to_questions.txt

best regards,