Testing whether devices are NordVPN proxies

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Wed Dec 4 14:16:46 PST 2019

On 12/04/2019 09:07 AM, John Newman wrote:

> On December 4, 2019 12:59:11 PM UTC, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

>> their Ts&Cs.

>> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...it-might-be-through-your-own-computer.423660/
>>>

>>> Mangled URL there. Should be:
>> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-it-might-be-through-your-own-computer.423660/
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> I neglected to cite Derek Johnson's post on the issue.[0] He cites
>> Luminati's complaint against Tesonet,[1] which claims that OxyLabs is
>> infringing its patents:
>>
>> | 19. Upon information and belief, the OxyLabs residential proxy
>> | network is based upon numerous user devices, each of which is
>> | a client device identifiable over the Internet by an IP address.
>> | Upon information and belief, these user devices become part of
>> | the network through the execution of Tesonet code embedded in
>> | applications downloaded by that devices user. Upon information
>> | and belief, these devices send their identifier to a server
>> | (“First Server”), such as Oxylab’s dedicated proxy servers,
>> | which store these identifiers.
>> |
>> | 20. Upon information and belief, Tesonet has developed or is
>> | developing OxyLabs embedded software for different platforms
>> | including Google Android and Windows. Upon information and
>> | belief, while frequently renamed, the above OxyLabs embedded
>> | software that enables the residential proxy network includes
>> | embedded code named “genericexitnode,” “winnerbot,”
>> | “CoffeeService,” “instantcoffee,” and “ENService.”
>>
>> | 21. Upon information and belief, the above OxyLabs embedded
>> | code has been integrated in at least the following software
>> | applications that may be downloaded by any user located
>> | anywhere having Internet access: AppAspect Technologies’ “EMI
>> | Calculator” and “Automatic Call Recorder”; Birrastorming
>> | Ideas, S.L’s “IPTV Manager for VL;” CC Soft’s “Followers
>> | Tool for Instagram;” Glidesoft Technologies’ “Route Finder;”
>> | ImaTechInnovations’ “3D Wallpaper Parallax 2018;” and
>> | Softmate a/k/a Toolbarstudio Inc.’s “AppGeyser” and
>> | “Toolbarstudio.”
>>
>> Maybe Oxylabs is connected with NordVPN, and maybe not. But NordVPN
>> could be leasing residential proxies from them. Or from other firms who
>> do similar things.
>>
>> 0)
>> https://medium.com/@derek./how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-6c51045dbc30
>> 1)
>> https://cdn-resprivacy.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Luminati-Networks-LTD-vs-UAB-Tesonet.pdf
>
> Wow, this seems super scummy/criminal.  Does any of this  software mentioned,
> which seems to turn the users machine into a proxy, TELL the user that
> they their computer is being leveraged as a proxy?

It may be buried somewhere in the user agreement / contract. For
Luminati, given that they're offering a "free" VPN service, it's likely
mentioned somewhere.

But Oxylabs, they're getting their proxy-server SDK integrated by a
bunch of third-party software developers. So it's probably up to each
developer to disclose the proxy server. And I'm pretty sure that most
people running those apps have no clue that they're proxying NordVPN
traffic to Disney+. Or whatever traffic other Oxylabs' customers are
routing through their devices.