Google Sensorvault Geofence General Warrants, 230 CDA Exempt Death, Social Scores, Spies, Repairs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 16:51:49 PDT 2019

Google Sensorvault Giving 10y of Geofence General Warrants
https://gizmodo.com/the-feds-police-are-using-googles-location-history-fea-1834026726
https://gizmodo.com/black-market-for-your-location-data-apparently-thriving-1831584165
https://www.cnet.com/news/law-enforcement-taps-googles-sensorvault-for-location-data-report-says/
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-clarifies-how-it-tracks-you-even-if-location-history-is-turned-off/

US ISP and Corp 230 CDA Exemption Under Threat
https://www.recode.net/podcasts/2019/4/11/18306834/nancy-pelosi-speaker-house-tech-regulation-antitrust-230-immunity-kara-swisher-decode-podcast

Internet companies are not responsible for what is posted on their
platforms. "230 is a gift to them, and I don't think they are
treating it with the respect that they should," she said. "And so
I think that that could be a question mark and in jeopardy.... For
the privilege of 230, there has to be a bigger sense of responsibility
on it, and it is not out of the question that that could be removed."
--Pelosi

Your Social Score Sifted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-secret-trust-scores-companies-use-to-judge-us-all-11554523206
https://support.sift.com/hc/en-us/articles/207522687-How-are-Sift-Scores-calculated-

Nearly everything we buy, how we buy, and where we're buying from
is secretly fed into AI-powered verification services

Google Amazon Microsoft Spy Your Microphones
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywyzm5/big-tech-lobbying-gutted-a-bill-that-would-ban-recording-you-without-consent
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/04/illinois-bill-banning-eavesdropping-by-iot-devices-defanged-by-tech-lobby/

Illinois State Senate passed the Keep Internet Devices Safe Act, a
bill that would ban manufacturers of devices that can record audio
from doing so remotely without disclosing it to the customer. But
after lobbying from trade associations that represent the interests
of Google, Amazon -- makers of the microphone-enabled Google Home
and Alexa smart speakers, respectively -- and Microsoft, among other
companies, the interests of big tech won out... In its current,
neutered form, the bill provides exclusive authority to the Attorney
General to enforce the Act, which means regular citizens won't be
able to bring forward a case regarding tech giants recording them
in their homes.  Ars Technica notes the move comes after Amazon
admitted thousands of their employees listen to Alexa recordings
-- "something not mentioned in Echo's terms of service or FAQ pages."
Vice points out that sometimes those recordings are shared "even
after users opt out of having their data used in the program."

Microsoft Lobby Kills Right to Repair
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-has-been-quietly-lobbying-against-right-to-repair-legislation/
https://youtu.be/i51YOXCAXJ0?t=1262
https://medium.com/u-s-pirg/microsoft-named-as-stopping-right-to-repair-in-washington-b880bf4ad052

Microsoft "has been quietly lobbying against Right to Repair
legislation, which would prevent Microsoft from penalizing customers
when they open up their devices," claims MSPoweruser: Jeff Morris,
Democratic member of the [Washington state] House of Representatives
claims Microsoft has blocked legislation from being passed despite
strong bipartisan support. In an interview on iFixit's Repair Radio
[YouTube], Rep. Jeff Morris said that "word on the street" was that
Microsoft, "marshalled forces to keep the bill from moving out of
the House Rules committee." He claimed "there was a tax proposal
here ... to pay for STEM education," and that "in exchange for
Microsoft support[ing that tax,] having Right to Repair die..." was
a condition, as well as another privacy policy Microsoft wanted to
advance.  The state representative hedged that "I can't confirm or
deny this, because I have not seen a smoking gun." But he also told
his interviewer that to paint a discouraging picture of the landscape
after passage of the bill, "Microsoft was going around telling our
members that they wouldn't sell Surface Tablets in Washington any
longer."