Censorship: Linus Torvalds Comes Out Blatant Censor's Advocate, Anti Privacy/Anonymity

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sat Apr 6 21:04:22 PDT 2019

On 4/6/19 11:28 PM, John Newman wrote:

[...]

> I need to read True Names (thanks!) - although a cursory search
> didn't find the phrase.

See also The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner, 1975:  The first tale of a
"hacker" (not so named) who wages war against State actors.  A cursory
search did not turn up a link to the text; my copy arrived in hard cover
via the Science Fiction Book Club.  Interlibrary loan if all else fails...

I would nominate our Mr. Brunner as the "most under appreciated" SF
author of his generation:  Uniformly brilliant work IMO; as another
example, people who appreciate CPunk concepts would likely find The
Stone That Never Came Down very inspirational.

:o)