Loki.network, Crypto Network HW Links, Anti Vampire and Sybil Nets, Actors Everywhere

jeff jeff at i2p.rocks
Tue Apr 2 06:17:32 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:45:59PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> [...]
> it must now own the full path or it will lose
> sight due to contracts with non Sybil nodes
> in the path who are also meshed and contracted
> out to other non Sybils around ot. Sybil must
> also uphold all its own contracts or get
> dropped by other nodes.
>

> > I am not convinced low latency systems can be immune to traffic shape
> > corrilation and hence that being said
>
> Copper, Fiber, Radio, etc.. so long as it's quality line
> rate hardware that can keep up with its advertised rate,
> their time to transfer data is dependant only on distance,
> not on how full the line is. Such network hardware is
> agnostic... fill, wheat... it all gets there in the same time.
>
> When people say "X latency network overlay", they're
> really referring to the cost of software processing
> their overlay design on their crappy stack of PC / Phone
> CPU hardware. And in their transport protocols running
> on the same... TCP, UDP, etc... all the way down
> the stack until it hits the real network hardware,
> which will either happily accept and ship the packet,
> or drop it.
>
> When people cry about "bandwidth", all they need to do
> in a fill model is allocate whatever bitrate to it they like
> and forget it. They're not going to get more bitrate from
> their ISP than they paid for, and they'll probably contract
> to the overlay under that so they can do other things with
> their line. And they're not going to get more wheat bytes
> across the overlay than a 100% wheat ratio (fill yields
> to wheat demand) within their contract to the overlay,
> even if they do disconnect from their byte transfer
> based ISP / Phone afterwards.
>
> Research would need done into routing models
> needed to transit traffic across the overlay.
> ie: TCP can readily jam more yet slower circuits
> through a full pipe, UDP mix gets dropped routed or
> reserved for. Raw IP becomes interesting.
>

> As a network HW project for defense in depth...
>
> If hardware makers would add line rate encryption and
> fill silicon to every physical port on every switch, router,
> and NIC... mandatory on by default per physical link...
> that would kill off a lot of vampires.
>
> An open IETF RFC spec for that would cost under $1
> per port to integrate into existing silicon port fab
> worldwide, plus electricity to drive the port which
> would be estimated as part of the RFC process.
> Modular agility would not cost much more at scale.
>
> Assuming line rate hardware, there's no latency
> impact here either.
>

> > I think state actors are out
> > of scope of the current threat model of llarp.
>
> If any network application involves free speech,
> politics, money aka cryptocurrency, business,
> journalism, industry, messaging, personal affairs,
> data storage and transfer, basically anything at all...
> you can be absolutely certain that many State and Other Actors
> have a serious continuum of interest in it.
>
> Is it the responsibility of each application to
> develop their own solutions to the threat?

If the state is out to get you I'd just assume that everything arround you is rooted
and a wire tap and act accordingly.

> No... probably not when many such apps ride on,
> aggregate muddily over, and depend on networks.
> All apps can contribute to the development
> of a diversity sound number of strongly resistant
> networks that they can then utilize and endorse
> as they would their own.
>
> Be they overlays on top of the internet,
> enhancements to the internet,
> or new guerrilla physical plant...
>
> That process of people contributing to
> original and ongoing development of new
> strong networks that are not susceptible to such
> Basic Bitch Adversaries as Global Vampires,
> is something more should consider.

Indeed, we'll get there eventually.
I am just a guy that made a thing because I thought it was cool.

> Same for likely figuring out how to get
> the deployment Social aspects right so
> you can circle the network wagons against Sybil.
>

> > This may or may not change.
>
> Pity the fool who changes even one satoshi
> based on the worthless drivel herein :)

Let the record show that I am not the one making the sybil resistance claims
it's the coin team that is. I doubt them as well but I am open to being
surprised. I orignally had another model in mind for mitigating bad actors
on the network that I still plan on implementing (eventually)
Effectively it's a f2f mesh connectivity layer to help hide traffic shape.

I am not arrogant enough to claim to be able to repell state actors from sqaure one.