Loki-network LLARP I2Pd Torrent Cryptocurrency

jeff jeff at i2p.rocks
Mon Apr 1 13:32:08 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 07:21:28PM +0000, furrier wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> > Bad: I2P uses old cryptography, specially 2048 bit ElGamal using non standard primes. The use of ElGamal is so pervasive throughout the I2P protocol stack that it exists at every level of it. Removing it is a massive task that is taking a long
> LONG time.
>
> I am not a crypto expert but really how bad is ElGamal 2048bit that you cannot wait for it to change? It's still the default in gpg fwiw. What did you choose instead and what did Loki gain out of it in terms of performance?

It's really really slow especially when you have to do it for every packet you send or every hop in a tunnel you build, it adds up fast.

> > Ugly: I2P cannot currently mitigate most sybil attacks with their current network architecture. Recently I2P has added some blocklist solutions signed by release signers but this probably won't scale in the event of a "big" attack.
>
> What about a mix of staking and DDoSing existing Service Nodes out of the network? At a large scale such an attack would be far more effective than trying to out-stake the network.

In theory it'd be "really really expensive because of the coin aspect", in practice, no idea how hard it would be.
I am also not convinced the coin aspect will work the way it is being advertised but I am open to being surprised.
Loki is funding the development so they get the features they want.

> > In addition I2P isn't staffed for such attacks either.
>

> Is Loki staffed for such attacks?

I hope so, no way to know until we get there.