The best defense is a good offense. Was: Re: Silk Road gossip

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Oct 14 14:49:25 PDT 2018

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 05:07:11PM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 21:02:50 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Fortunately, the advent of the Ethereum/Augur prediction system would likely allow this kind of protection system to be implemented in the relatively near future.
>
> > They need to change their policies a bit, allowing the rewarding of very specific 'predictors', and also implement guaranteed crypto-secured anonymity for awards,
>

> 	It seems to me that anonymous communications is a building block that is still missing.
>
> 	Now, Chaum has a new cryptocoin :
>
> 	https://elixxir.io/
>
> 	I don't know how good it is, or if it's even working (seems not),
> 	but if you take a look at their 'technical brief' you'll see they
> 	use a mixnet. My half educated guess is that only high latency
> 	mixnets may provide good enough anonimity.
>
> 	So, I was wondering, maybe it would make sense to get some bitcoin
> 	millonaire to fund some sort of mixnet? Such a project seems like
> 	a good fit for somebody like Roger Ver? What do you think Jim?
> 	Maybe you could sell the idea to him?

And, the idea don't need millions of dollars:

1)
 - a chaff fill plugin for I2P
   - initially a simple fixed bw link
   - then add dials for base chaff bw (e.g. if bandwidth drops below
     say 10kbps, chaff fill, but allow link bw to rise above)
   - then time period "chunked" - e.g. if link pressure is steadily
     being throttled, provide for stepping up/down, e.g. from 10kbps
     to 50kbps etc)

 - then add a per-connection latency dial (implies RAM cache of
   packet flow(s) that require latency

 - the latency dial should provide for randomness (a window of
   latency perhaps)

That's the low hanging cherry.

2)
Next should also be reasonably straightforward network layer isht` -
network reconfig for roaming mobile devices - ad hoc/ mesh net of
some sort.

3)
The next one is perhaps a little more complex, and could benefit from
some priviledged-class acedemia study, but the technical
implementation ought be straightforward enough - network layer "non
public links", that is e.g. an ethernet cable strung between two
neighbours, or a street-level "wireless pod".

"Street Net" then becomes an advocacy and grass roots activism
project - build out the people's network:

  If you don't own it, you don't control it.
  If you don't control it, it shall be used against you.

  You are not the customer, you are not even the product any more as,
  according to Mark Zuckerberg, you are the "dumb fucks" trusting him.