ByScience NewsApp: "Government corruption tops 5th annual Chapman University survey of American fears"

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 21:16:08 PDT 2018

 On Monday, October 22, 2018, 11:08:42 AM PDT, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 21:52:44 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>  NEWS from Science NewsApp
>
> >https://phys.org/news/2018-10-corruption-tops-5th-annual-chapman.html
>
>> "More Americans are afraid than ever,>
>> "1. Corrupt government officials (73.6 percent)2. Pollution of oceans, rivers and lakes (61.6 percent)te]

>notice that the objects under 'scientific study' aka american subjects are afraid of 'corrupt' agents, not of government per se. And it would be pretty funny to find out what 'corruption' means to the fine 'scientists' doing the poll.

Well, what we need to do is learn about the methodology of this poll.  Did the surveyers merely ask, "What are you most afraid of", or did they suggest the subjects:  Was the example "Corrupt government employees" provided to them?

Also, I suspect that a lot of the results of this survey reflect, more or less, the product of the news media's commentary over the last few years.  The news media, most of them anyway, loved Obama, and many of them currently hate Trump.  That position has presumably rubbed off onto the public.
And, I suspect that "corrupt government" is often, even usually defined as "government controlled by people that I don't want to see control it".   That may indeed be "corrupt", but perhaps they have no problem with "corruption" if done by the people they WANT to see in control of government.
                    Jim Bell