Solid/ Inrupt: “Father Of World Wide Web Launches Platform Which Aims To Radically Decentralize The Internet”

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Oct 1 04:34:41 PDT 2018

“Father Of World Wide Web Launches Platform Which Aims To Radically
Decentralize The Internet” proclaims Zerowedgie:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-30/father-world-wide-web-launching-platform-radically-decentralize-web-week

  "For people who want to make sure the Web serves humanity, we have
  to concern ourselves with what people are building on top of it,”
  Tim Berners-Lee told Vanity Fair last month. "I was devastated" he
  said while going through a litany of harmful and dangerous
  developments of the past three decades of the web.

  That's why "the Father of the World Wide Web" has launched a
  start-up that intends to end the dominance of Facebook, Google, and
  Amazon, while in the process letting individuals take back control
  of their own data.

  Berners-Lee's new online platform and company Inrupt is being
  described as a "personal online data store," or pod, where
  everything from messages, music, contacts or other personal data
  will be stored in one place overseen by the user instead of an
  array of platforms and apps run by corporations seeking to profit
  off personal information. The project seeks “personal empowerment
  through data” and aims to "take back" the web, according to company
  statements.

  The man who created the world wide web by implementing the first
  ever successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol
  (HTTP) client and server via the internet in 1989 lamented that his
  creation has been abused by powerful entities for everything mass
  surveillance to fake news to psychological manipulation to
  corporations commodifying individuals' information.
…

Well, this is diversity I could get behind. The principle sounds
right/ "solid", MIT license is just fine, let's see what the algo's
are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_(web_decentralization_project)

https://solid.mit.edu/

https://www.inrupt.com/

https://solid.inrupt.com/

https://github.com/timbl
https://github.com/solid/solid
https://github.com/solid/solid-ui/commits/master

https://www.fastcompany.com/90243936/exclusive-tim-berners-lee-tells-us-his-radical-new-plan-to-upend-the-world-wide-web
  If all goes as planned, Inrupt will be to Solid what Netscape once
  was for many first-time users of the web: an easy way in.  And like
  with Netscape, Berners-Lee hopes Inrupt will be just the first of
  many companies to emerge from Solid.

  “I have been imagining this for a very long time,” says
  Berners-Lee.

Choose your 'news' vendor:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tim-berners-lee-reveals-vision-alternative-web-solid-2018-10

https://qz.com/1407428/tim-berners-lees-solid-and-inrupt-let-people-control-their-own-data/