Cyberpunk, Stasi Spies Youth SubCulture

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Nov 30 13:24:41 PST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 08:34:19PM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> East German secret police guide for identifying youth subcultures (1985)

> https://twitter.com/industrial_book/status/1066411965004812288
> https://twitter.com/TurnerMarko/status/1066830331288973314
>

>  x220 3 hours ago [-]
>
> One subculture I got somewhat involved in was the internet
> cyberpunk-hacker culture, until about a year ago. Communicating
> through 4chan threads, alt-chans, and IRC channels, these users were
> always interesting to read from on various topics such as cyberpunk
> media, politics, current events, hacking, software, fashion, and
> travel.
>
> I'm dismayed that it petered out. I see the cyberpunk form of art and
> worldview as more useful with each passing year.
>
> reply
>

> peterwwillis 23 minutes ago [-]
>
> What was the cyberpunk worldview? Afaik it was something along the
> lines of "the world is run by vast networks of shadowy dystopian
> entities and we must use cryptography to resist this so we can have
> freedom" (basically, Information Technology libertarians)
>
> reply
>

> westmeal 18 minutes ago [-]
>
> That's the cypherpunks. Cyberpunks are 'high tech low lifes'.
>
> reply
>

> wavefunction 19 minutes ago [-]
>
> That's cypherpunks.
>
> reply
>

> malvosenior 2 hours ago [-]
>
> Do you have any theories as to why it petered out? Like you I feel
> it's more relevant today than ever before but also can't find a
> growing or healthy community with that mindset anymore.
>
> reply
>

> x220 2 hours ago [-]
>
> Aside from conspiracy-theorizing about current events (and I don't use
> that term pejoratively), people tended to discuss the same topics. New
> cyberpunk media doesn't come out very often, so people tended to talk
> about the same books, movies, manga, anime, videogames, and fashion.
> Some of the alt-chans with dedicated cyberpunk boards would run out of
> ideas to talk about pretty quickly, since there weren't enough posts
> that the website had to prune old threads like 4chan did.
>
> Another hypothesis I have is that cyberpunk media is not as
> captivating as it used to be since we arguably live in a cyberpunk
> world. In America there is unimaginable wealth inequality, with some
> cities having insane costs of rent for cramped apartments, with access
> to the best technology and medicine in the world but only if you can
> afford it. We also don't have to use media to imagine a world where
> digital corporations have a huge amount of power over daily life and
> the government spies on everyone all the time since both of those
> things are happening right now. I think we live in a cyberpunk world,
> it just doesn't have huge buildings, neon lights, and widespread punk
> fashion.
>
> I came in contact with a few guys who wanted to make another alt-chan
> [...]

Richard Morgans's stuff - e.g. 13 (Black Man in the UK), his new
book Thin Air, the Kovacs series (Altered Carbon, etc) are all
basically cyberpunk. Charles Stross, Peter Watts, Hannu Rajaniemi,
Paolo Bacagalupi, and so many more are writing cyberpunk, or "neo-cyberpunk"..
I'm not even including other favorites that don't really fit cyberpunk,
like China Mieville or Jeff VanderMeer or Jonathan Lethem...... etc :)

All that classic shit by Gibson & Sterling & Rucker & Shiner &
Shirley etc never gets old, but there is a lot of great new stuff..
I've probably read Neuromancer more than any other novel, maybe
that's embarassing heh.. I've not read it in YEARS, but as a teenager I
read it at least a couple times a year (and this was 10+ years after
it came out).. I still love all the old stuff, but there is a shit
load of good new stuff coming out or that has come out in the last
decade.

cheers,
John

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7