BBC News: NovaSAR: UK radar satellite returns first images

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 15:49:19 PST 2018

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 17:16:06 -0500
grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45523677
> https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA01721
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/226843737_Continuing_inflation_at_Three_Sisters_volcanic_center_central_Oregon_Cascade_Range_USA_from_GPS_leveling_and_InSAR_observations
>
> > This particular satellite is said to have a resolution of 6 meters.
>
> Nobody is going to waste their money launching a pathetic 6m toy
> that doesn't even match 1990s - 2001 tech.

	are you sure the satellites from that time had *radar* at 6 meters resolution? Weren't they just optical?

> Today's rigs could surely
> be expected at 60cm to commercial NDA customers, and maybe even
> at 6cm

	yeah the 6 meter resolution figure isn't to be trusted at all but what I think is 'new' here is that this is 3D imaging radar, not ordinary photography.

> Keep in mind this was the "low cost" public facade version of
> greater Beasts A Marking already been launched before,
> and more to come...
>
> "We've done lots of work on the next generation. NovaSAR is just the
> first in a family of instruments that will offer different
> capabilities, such as finer resolutions and other parameters; and we
> will be putting those capabilities on smaller spacecraft than
> NovaSAR."
> The satellite, as *presently* configured, will operate in the S-band
> (3.2 gigahertz), giving a best resolution of 6m with a swath width of
> 15-20km.

	lol, so wavelength at 3.2 gigacycles is what? Oh yes, 10cm...

> Future variants will go to the higher-frequency X-band and
> sense features on the ground as small as a metre across, *and less*.

	but it will be used to save the whales! And the children from 'sex abuse'.