X86 dispatch contention vulnerability

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 11:00:52 PST 2018

 In "the good old days", in the 1970's, microprocessors were so much simpler.  My favorite one for awhile, the Z-80 was trivial by today's standards.  No multi-threading, no pipelining, no speculative instruction execution, etc.   I built my own homebrew personal computer, which I called the "Bellyache I", using a Z-80.  I also built a 'brick' shaped disk-emulator for it, consisting of a board with 32 sockets of stacked-8-high 2118 16-kilobit DRAM chips.  (5-volt only 16 kilobit.)   512kbytes of disk emulator, which actually seemed a lot of memory at the time!!!
In about October 1981, I actually discovered an error in the documentation sheet for the Z-80:  I was implementing my first "SemiDisk", and I was trying to use the INIR and OTIR instructions to do fast block-moves of data to/from the i/o mapped memory.  It turned out that doing those transfers from a 128-byte block of memory had one of them "off" by 1 byte-count, and I traced the error to the fact that the Z-80 didn't operate precisely as the data-sheet indicated it should.
My company, SemiDisk Systems, was very close to the first disk emulator for a number of types of PC, including the S-100, TRS-80 Model II, IBM PC, Epson Q-10.https://www.pcworld.com/article/246617/storage/evolution-of-the-solid-state-drive.html

http://www.ryli.net/the-brief-history-of-solid-state-drive-ssd/

                    Jim Bell