Yet another reason to call him #$%& Re: yet another reason...

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Nov 2 08:46:15 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 05:05:09PM -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

> [...]
>
> A website on the i2p network (eepsite) can host any files the user puts
> in the site's /docroot directory.  That would include subdirectories
> with their own index pages, not publicly advertised and available only
> to "confidential" correspondents who know the names of the subdirectory
> and index pages in question.  That's not quite a "digital dead drop" but
> comes close.
>
> I used to run a moderately popular eepsite and seeded lotsa torrents.
> "Who" I was and what I may have distributed aside from publicly
> advertised content is for me to know and others to guess.  Let's just
> say I did it as an exercise and for amusement purposes only.  Last time
> I checked, some of the stuff I seeded out was still bouncing around in
> there years later.  :o)
>
> >> and the loooong duration of
> >> typical downloads (25kbps counts as 'decent speed' in there), greatly
> >> complicate matters for anyone doing traffic analysis, compared to the
> >> hit-and-run pattern of TOR usage that typically lights up an entry and
> >> exit router for just a few minutes per user session, during which easily
> >> fingerprinted clusters of packets, all of them "of interest" to
> >> potential adversaries, flow thick and fast.
> >

> > 	Which is exactly the reason why  torscum should be promoting the use of their network for filesharing...if they were honestly interested in protecting users....which of course they are not.
>
> The Tor Project's position on torrent traffic never made sense to me.
> More users and more traffic add up to more security.  If casual users
> see a bit more lag, so what?  In every instance where security vs. end
> user arises convenience arises, TOR chooses convenience.
>
> I was also very disappointed when the TOR Browser distribution dropped
> support for router configuration; now they have done away with the last
> scrap of that. "The Tor circuit display has been relocated and improved!
> Click the Site Identity button (located on the left side of the URL bar)
> to see the new circuit display" is a lie; there's no such button in the
> update I just installed (ver 8.03), which presents the quoted text on
> its 'update completed' page, but nothing related in any menu accessible
> to the user.
>
> The browser's configuration menu does present "new identity" and "new
> circuit for this site" buttons; that's all, folks!  The "Donate Now"
> link on the TOR welcome page does work though.
>
> >> than they would consider acceptable if they knew about
> >> them.  The reluctance of intelligence services to reveal their
> >> capabilities by acting on what they know too often provides the best
> >> protection most users can get...
> >

> > 	...but that didn't work too well for ulbricht and a few others like him...
>
> I would say it worked exactly as expected for Ulbricht and a few others
> like him:  Always expect a faulty cost/benefit estimate produces net

The agora guys made it out alive. They shut down when it got hot (and
were unaffected by the 2014 Onymous tor busts). I'd be curioius to know
what kind of profit the operator(s) of Agora made it out with.

Alphabay got busted though, and I don't even know who the "big" darkweb
markets are these days... Source locally, its my motto ;)

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7