Flaws in AMD CPUs.

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Mar 24 16:10:36 PDT 2018

On 3/25/2018 8:07 AM, juan wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 07:48:06 +1000
> jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

>>> according to the interwebz, your system is ARM based and in
>>> addition ARM is vulnerable to spectre. how many vulnerabilities
>>> like spectre affect the "US design"?
>>>

>> The Orange Pi Cpu does not do speculative execution, therefore is not
>> vulnerable to spectre.
>>

> 	I think some ARM processors do?

Possibly they do. There are a lot of Arm processors.  Pretty sure the
new Samsung ARM processor does speculative execution, but I don't have
any concrete information - it is just that they threw everything
fashionable into that processor, or claimed to do so.

And if it does not have speculative execution, throwing everything
fashionable into a processor is likely to result in some other security
holes.

> 	Point being, it seems hard, even for the chinese govt, to know
> 	for sure that the system isn't backdoored by many of the
> 	western scum 'players' in the 'industry'.

Again, Orange Pi is all Chinese manufacture, plus western open source.

Hence I would expect all Chinese backdoors.

Speculative execution puts smarts on the chip that really belong in the
compiler.  It is a bad design choice, the wrong way to do things, that
was probably implemented to keep information in house, that they did not
want to put into an open source compiler under the GNU license.

Had they done it right, would have had to put that technology into the
GNU compiler, since everything has to run linux, or a linux derived
operating system such as android, and thus had to license the technology
to everyone.  And every other chip maker in the entire world would have
been able to copy what they did, and adapt to their own architecture.