Flaws in AMD CPUs.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Mar 14 16:18:20 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 05:38:54PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> https://www.amdflaws.com/
> https://safefirmware.com/amdflaws_whitepaper.pdf
> https://safefirmware.com/CTO+Letter.pdf
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDByiRhMjVA
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYhOwikuGQ
>

> As with Intel's decades of fail, this is yet another salvo exposing
> the proven laughable security, bullshit, and FUD of closed source
> products.
>
> Recent CPU issues were presumably found by independent researchers.
> Wait till Snowden style mass corporate leakage begins to hit.
>

> Solution, replace such legacy closed source models with...
>
> #OpenFabs , #OpenHW , #OpenSW , #OpenDev

Ack!

There are many solvable issues with openfabs such as:

 - trustability
    - people (Juan for openfab accountability executive FTW :)
    - jurisdictions (e.g. USA vs RUS fabs)

 - purchase/ pre-order scale/ cost of fab chip production runs

Some thoughts on some approaches:

 - trustable processes to minimize requirement to trust individuals,
   e.g. auditability, and actual random audits (at each level of the
   manufacturing pipeline - design/ schematics, fab process, chips
   fabbed, boards shipped, end products received by human citizens)

 - build networks of people you trust/ those who will support with
   pre-buys/ promise to buy etc, IRL

 - sugar-daddy investors who have a spare $ billion here or there to
   guarantee/ bankroll, regardless of purchase commitments - but do
   NOT rush on this (Jordan Peterson gets this well), since such
   steps are doomed to failure if done before most or all of the key
   issues above (and others yet to be thunked), are actually solved,
   in place, ready to go - some dickwad will come in, proclaiming to
   be the messiah, and blow that $ billion before you can finish
   saying "ponzi scheme"

 - slow and steady, "grass roots" openhw tech stack presumably far
   better than flash in the pan of anything

 - consciousness of end users, therefore education ever important

> Create more.
>

> Internet analysis growing, including...
> https://viceroyresearch.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/amd-the-obituary-13-mar-2018.pdf
> https://twitter.com/dguido/status/973628511515750400
> https://hn.algolia.com/?sort=byDate&dateRange=pastWeek&query=amd
> https://www.reddit.com/search?q=amd&t=week
>
> Interesting that CTS currently states having no plans
> to ever release full details publicly itself... a throwback to
> Snowden's third party release model... or just more closed
> bullshit games by player profiteurs and control agents...
> were there any difference.

Jim Bell's thought that it's a "revenge from Intel" might be
"relevant (including military) contracts were shifting to AMD, at
least temporarily whilst Intel fixed their FUBARs, and this was put
in motion to release now that Intel's latest chips have been updated
and they wants more precious claw backs contracts my precious...
perfect timing (for Intel) on a few fronts.