An IBM computer debates humans, and wins...

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Jun 20 14:55:07 PDT 2018

On 06/20/2018 05:30 PM, juan wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:04:01 -0300
> Cecilia Tanaka <cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Computers beat humans at chess in 1997, beat humans at Jeopardy in 2011,
>> and beat the world's best Go players in 2017. This Monday, a computer won a
>> far more nuanced competition: debate.
>
> 	sorry let me rephrase  :
>
>>  a computer won
>
> 	so what does that mean? What are the implications of that particular piece of fake news, and glaringly absurd 'fact'?  Why is the fake-news-meme 'computer won debate' being pushed? What's the 'tactic and strategy' behind this round of psychological warfare?

FTA:

"In one debate, Noa Ovadia overall nudged two people among a few dozen
in a human audience toward her perspective that governments shouldn't
subsidize space exploration. But in the second, Project Debater soundly
defeated Dan Zafrir, pulling nine audience members toward its stance
that we should increase the use of telemedicine."

So maybe AI performs best when advocating for the superiority of its
fellow machines.  :D

The gadget in question managed to win a popularity contest of sorts.  As
such I think this does indicate continuing advancement on the Turing
Test front.  If industrial 'civilization' lasts another decade or so, I
expect to see AI successfully emulate human conversation - depending of
course on context.  Where a clever human suspects an AI masquerading as
human, a few well calculated questions should give the AI real problems.
 Which means, real learning opportunities...

:o)