How tech's richest plan to save themselves after the apocalypse

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Jul 28 12:00:39 PDT 2018

On 07/28/2018 11:14 AM, John Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 07:40:50AM -0700, Mirimir wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Now of course, the g-forces involved would have killed everyone in the
>> ships. But consider Vinge's ships, combining bobble tech with nuclear
>> pulse propulsion. Bobbles, for those who don't know Vinge's stuff, are
>> spherical stasis fields. Inside the bobble, time stops for some set
>> external time. So from the outside, bobbles are perfect spherical
>> mirrors. To everything, including acceleration. And you can have a
>> complex structure, with configurations of bobbles nested within bobbles.
>> So basically, the ship periodically drops a nuclear device, bobbles and
>> rides the shock wave, and then de-bobbles and repeats. And there's no
>> limit to the size of the nuclear devices. Could be the entire planet :(
>
> I need to read some Vernor - I don't know his stuff at all, but actually
> own a couple paperbacks (unread, obviously). Too many fucking books, too
> little time.

Read *Peace War*, and then *Marooned in Realtime*. Della Lu was the
heroine of *Peace War*, and she has the coolest ship in *Marooned in
Realtime*. Or at least, she has the coolest intact ship. There's a minor
character who has a piece of a _really_ cool ship that got mostly
destroyed while debugging an antihydrogen distillery near the Sun's
surface.