Paging Jim Bell

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:31:24 PDT 2018

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:44:59 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The main advantage added by Ethereum/Augur, I assume, is that it acts as a distributed computer system that, being "everywhere", ends up being "nowhere":  It cannot be shut down by government authority.

	yeah, that part of the AP system seems to be in place. Although from a quick look at a couple of articles, seems to me that augur can be (easily?) censored

	"Augur currently has four options to resolve a bet: 1. yes 2. no 3. indeterminate 4. unethical"
	“The Augur Reporter community has a powerful tool in their ability to mark a market as ‘invalid,'”

	(so there's a 'community' of scumbags who go around censoring stuff. Not sure if augur is a serious system like the permisionless, censorship-resistant bitcoin network, or some sort of toy owned by a bunch of oportunists - seems more like the later)

> The other thing necessary to turn such a prediction market into a classic AP system   https://cryptome.org/ap.htm    is good, i.e. perfect, anonymity of bets and payouts:  So nobody else, other than than the bettor himself, knows who he is, and he knows he can collect the payout anonymously without risk.  I don't know if this Ethereum/Augur system has such anonymity, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.   It wouldn't be particularly useful if it didn't.×

	well augur runs on top of ethereum(probably untrustworthy) which in turn uses the 'internet'(biggest spy system on the planet), and then we the people live in a global surveillance state, and surveillance is especially bad in the so called 'developed' world.

	so the anonimity required mighy be lacking somewhat...