Forced Decrypt: US Judge Jails Defendant Six Months for Contempt re Phone Unlock

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 12:33:24 PDT 2018

 Well, I agree that this kind of case ought to be pre-empted by the Fifth Amendment.   And I say that as a person who has spent many thousands of hours in a (prison) law library.  However, law sometimes takes a long time to come to that correct conclusion.  There was a SC case in 2000, called Kyllo, which prohibited the use of thermal IR viewing to develop probable cause, for example in marijuana grow cases.     Kyllo v. United States    The SC came to the correct conclusion, though I disagreed with the reasoning they used.  (it depended on their NON-understanding of the science and technology of thermal-IR viewing.)
Similarly, in 2012, the SC decided that it was necessary to get a warrant for placing a GPS device on a car, to "following it around".   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Jones

That, despite the argument that the information collected could, in theory, have been collected merely by placing a cop on every streetcorner, and then taking records.  The contrary argument prevailed.  I agreed with the contrary argument:  In principle, I think that as a society, we don't want to operate on a principle that every new technology should automatically be useable against people.
One can imagine a technology someday usable, which takes a continuous movie from, say, a vantage a few hundred miles up (using multiple passing satellites) of any given city.  Would police be right if they consulted such a movie for evidence of a moving vehicle?
Even more recently, just a month ago, the SC decided a case involving cell-phone metadata, and tracking people by their cell phones.  They decided that such were "searches" and thus a warrant was required.    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/politics/supreme-court-ruling-cell-phone/index.html     I also agreed with this decision.

                Jim Bell
×