Earth: Growth Is Ending, You Fucked Yourselves, Haha

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Jul 14 20:03:13 PDT 2018

On 07/14/2018 03:25 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:53:55 -0700
> Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>> OK, maybe just poor reading comprehension, plus a tendency to fling shit
>> ;) If you reread what I posted, in context -- and actually check out the
>> novels that I cited -- you'll see that I explicitly _did not_ argue
>> "that political problems can be 'solved' by running away". And in fact,
>> that the same political problems show up in virtualities. Worse, even.
>>
>> _Accelerando_ and the "Flower Prince" trilogy both explore virtual
>> dystopias. _Accelerando_ is especially dark. There's lots of running
>> away in _Diaspora_, through multiple levels of reality, but in the end
>> it's painted as pointless.
>

> 	Oh, OK. I'll check those out then =)

As I recall, _Accelerando_ is unremittingly dark. Although one could say
that the "Flower Prince" trilogy has a happy ending for some, everyone
and everything else gets unhappened. It's a fun read, though.

>> I admit that _The Last Trumpet Project_ does
>> feature hiding in virtuality, but eventually they come back to kill all
>> the assholes.
>
> 	I remember you linked a novel a while back in which the good guys beat the statists by developing better 'technology', which is of course wishful thinking and laughable nonsense. I did read like 3/4 of it and it was entertaining, but really naive. I think it might have been that same trumpet project?

Yeah, that was probably it. In practice, statists will have the best
technology. Because they have the most resources.

> 	Anyway, I assumed that the other stuff you linked now was the same sort of utopian stuff. My mistake and I apologize.

I'm not really into utopian. Dystopian is more fun. If you enjoy
fantasy, I highly recommend Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy.
It's rather a satire on "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Also Matthew
Stover's "Caine" series. Caine basically channels Aleister Crowley ;)

>>> ps: I wasnt expecting any answer from you. You should be ignoring me.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice :)
>

> 	my pleasure

De nada :)