How tech's richest plan to save themselves after the apocalypse

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Jul 27 06:04:26 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:58:31PM -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

> On 07/26/2018 09:54 PM, Steven Schear wrote:
> > Silicon Valley’s elite are hatching plans to escape disaster – and when
> > it comes, they’ll leave the rest of us behind
> >
> > https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity
>
> vs. Silicon Valley's elite indulging in elaborate delusional fantasies
> sold to them by clever promoters:  Custom tailored to reassure them that
> "too much is never enough, me first and to hell with the rest of you"
> will not have terminal consequences for themselves and their chosen
> playmates.
>
> "Mein Furh---! um, Mr. President.  I have a plan..."
> - Dr. Strangelove

lol.  "We must not allow.. a mine shaft gap!!"

> I like Douglas Rushkoff, or his work at least:  I make a point of
> reading everything of his I can get my hands on.  He seems to have
> mastered the art of presenting information in a context that never quite
> crosses the line to offend Liberal and Oligarch sensibilities, but the
> data itself tends to convey an inherently radical message to anyone with
> more than half a brain & clue.  He has often been been the first to
> bring the most useful and interesting "new stuff" to (nearly) mass
> market audiences.  Students of propaganda should not miss the Rushkoff
> canon.

I think Kurzweil and most of the other "futurists" out there are
really just shity wannabe sci-fi writers. Cory Doctorow excluded
perhaps, he can actually write at least, and hasn't staked his name
and career on predictions of some sort of technological ex machina
that will save humanity from its own over-indulgence and inability
to think in the long term.

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A
78C7