Earth: Growth Is Ending, You Fucked Yourselves, Haha

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Mon Jul 16 06:53:20 PDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 08:03:13PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> On 07/14/2018 03:25 PM, juan wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 14:53:55 -0700
> > Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
> >

> >> OK, maybe just poor reading comprehension, plus a tendency to fling shit
> >> ;) If you reread what I posted, in context -- and actually check out the
> >> novels that I cited -- you'll see that I explicitly _did not_ argue
> >> "that political problems can be 'solved' by running away". And in fact,
> >> that the same political problems show up in virtualities. Worse, even.
> >>
> >> _Accelerando_ and the "Flower Prince" trilogy both explore virtual
> >> dystopias. _Accelerando_ is especially dark. There's lots of running
> >> away in _Diaspora_, through multiple levels of reality, but in the end
> >> it's painted as pointless.
> >

> > 	Oh, OK. I'll check those out then =)
>
> As I recall, _Accelerando_ is unremittingly dark. Although one could say
> that the "Flower Prince" trilogy has a happy ending for some, everyone
> and everything else gets unhappened. It's a fun read, though.

Yeah, the brief "utopia" on Mars gets utterly destroyed (i think the whole
planet gets destroyed), there is a war between like 7 people who
control planet-sized constructs made of "computronium", all of them
trying to accomplish the "Great Common Task" (which is uploading all
sentient beings, with or without their consent as I recall), and all
sorts of other dark shit in Hannu's stuff.

Same with the Alistair Reynolds books I recommended - they are *not*
utopian visions of the future, at all.

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7