Earth: Growth Is Ending, You Fucked Yourselves, Haha

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Mon Jul 16 06:30:20 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 07:49:47PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> On 07/13/2018 02:38 PM, Steven Schear wrote:
> > No problem. The elites always have their solutions: World War and survival
> > bunkers.
>
> And escape to space, and/or virtual reality in hardened server farms.
>
> Check out:
>
> _Diaspora_, by Greg Egan
>
> _The Last Trumpet Project_, by Kevin MacArdry
> https://anarplex.net/hosted/files/last_trumpet/LTP.pdf
>
> _Accelerando_, by Charles Stross
> http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html
>
> "Flower Prince" trilogy, by Hannu Rajaniemi

Those are all terrific choices. Lately I've been reading the "Revelation
Space" series by Alistair Reynolds - they have a bit more of a space
opera thing going on (although there is no FTL, the science tries to be
grounded).. It doesn't really matter which book you start with, although
I really liked "Chasm City", which I think was one of the early ones. It
has lots of violence :)  (although not to levels of RKM or Joe Abercrombie)

It is important to remember that these are all pieces of fiction :) In
the real world, we are destroying the planet so that shareholder prices
keep going up, short term profits in exchange for long term existential
crisis, and it will only be the ultra wealthy who come out the other end
after "the Jackpot" (as William Gibson coined how he sees it playing out
over a 40-50 year period of humanity adjusting and losing like 2/3 of
its population, in the book "The Peripheral").

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7