Intel design flaw

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Wed Jan 3 03:42:43 PST 2018

On January 3, 2018 5:31:39 AM EST, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 08:48:12AM +0000, jim bell wrote:
>> For some reason, I'm reminded of the 486 math processor  screwup of
>1992 (?).  As I vaguely recall, the math coprocessor might have errors
>in the fourth digit of significance.  Intel offered to replace the
>affected chips.
>>

>I think it is the Pentium FDIV bug. IIRC only the server CPU was
>replaced in the whole office, don't remember why.
>
> From TFA: microcode can't fix it, lol. AMD is not affected. Shouldn't
>Intel do recall again?

I think they might go bankrupt ;)

And think of all the work for sysadmins swapping CPUs &
swapping systems... I think we are going to be stuck with
OS level fixes that are potentially very bad for performance.
People are already grumbling about the potential impact on
AWS & other cloud providers... Speculation about a 30%
performance hit?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/7npcgu/kernel_memory_leaking_intel_processor_design_flaw/