News Dump

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 08:32:57 PST 2018

NSA Deletes “Honesty” and “Openness” From Core Values Statement on
Their Site (theintercept.com)
DuckDuckGo adds tracker blocking to help curb the wider surveillance
web (techcrunch.com)
Dr. King was wiretapped by the FBI for the purpose of neutralizing him
as an effective civil rights leader and on the pretext that he was
under communist influence.
Researchers found that anyone who controls a WhatsApp server
(sophisticated hackers, a government coercing the company) can insert
themselves into any group chat, undermining WhatsApp’s promises of
end-to-end encryption. (wired.com)
US customs asking Americans to unlock devices is on the rise, refusing
could impound your phone for 5 days (washingtonpost.com)
Apple Is Blocking an App That Detects Net Neutrality Violations From
the App Store: Apple told a university professor his app "has no
direct benefits to the user." (motherboard.vice.com)
FBI chief calls unbreakable encryption 'urgent public safety issue'
(reuters.com)
Harvard Study Shows Why Big Telecom Is Terrified of Community-Run
Broadband: These ISPs Are Cheaper and Better. (motherboard.vice.com)
Amazon turns over record amount of customer data to US authorities (zdnet.com)
Twitter Security Engineer: "What we can do is terrifying. We have full
access to every single person's account, every single direct message,
deleted direct messages, deleted tweets. I can tell you who exactly
logged in from where, what username and password, when they changed
their password." (inquisitr.com)
Here are the 256 representatives that just voted to reauthorize and
expand unconstitutional NSA spying (medium.com)
NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve (politico.com)
Washington sues Motel 6 for giving guest information to US: "Attorney
General Bob Ferguson said motel employees divulged the
names,birthdates,driver's license numbers,license plate numbers and
room numbers of at least 9,150 guests to U.S. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement agents without a warrant" (apnews.com)
Is Facebook listening and creating conversation-based ads on
Instagram? I think so, and I put it to the test using WireShark.
Misleading - Trump can vetoDemocrats are just one vote shy of
restoring net neutrality (engadget.com)
Vietnam unveils 10,000-strong cyber unit to combat 'wrong views' (reuters.com)
Dem Support For Trump Surveillance Powers Proves “Resistance” Is
Bullshit - Caitlin Johnstone (medium.com)
VideoGoogle Opt Out Feature Lets Users Protect Privacy By Moving To
Remote Village (Satire) (youtube.com)
Old newsNow sites can fingerprint you online even when you use
multiple browsers (arstechnica.com)
Don't expect privacy at Disney - The company is getting rid of all “do
not disturb” door signs and requiring Disney employees to enter each
hotel room once a day. (cbs6albany.com)
Western Digital My Cloud drives have a built-in backdoor (twitter.com)
Americans should have more control over their data (bloomberg.com)
Skype leaks your contacts
If you've got Nvidia drivers on your computer they come with telemetry