Do It Yourself

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jan 15 15:08:14 PST 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 06:18:30PM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:33:00 +0000
> Gundam Wing <niggers at aaathats3as.com> wrote:
>
> > [maga.png  image/png (545269 bytes)]
>
> 500k for that kind of spam garbage? is there yet another security hole
> in some png library or something ?

Is there a Linux command line tool which can analyze an image, and
its skrunk version, and determine that it's "visually lossless"?

Such a tool would be very convenient for those who like to post
images recently and care about those who don't have unlimited
internet (which is actually a lot of folks such as those in rural
Australia who get their 'net shaped after only a GiB or so...).

Even a chain of commands ...

I guess some steps could be:

 - convert to a lossy format if it's in a lossless format such as PNG

 - shrink the image to a reasonable size, if it's not already
   "smallish"

 - apply a series of "relatively lossless" transforms on the color
   space, contrast or whatever, considering human perception ability
   (I'm no image expert, but would assume there's an analogue to
   fourier type transforms from mp3 audio compression)

the trick in this last step is to be able to automate "how much is
reasonable, vs how much would be visually noticeable" - not my field.