[tor-relays] FreeBSD 11.1 ZFS Tor Image

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:10:05 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 10:43 AM, mick <mbm at rlogin.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 14:47:06 -0500
> grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> allegedly wrote:
>
>> If ovh vps gives root, bypass the fee with: md(4) vnode > geli >
>> mount.
>>
>> Then again, if the iron isn't dipped in epoxy (not done), in your own
>> secure datacenter (not extant), on trusted #OpenHW (not AMD / Intel /
>> or any other to date), built in trusted #OpenFabs (non extant),
>> running validated #OpenSW (non extant), in a voluntarist libertarian
>> environment free from force, one's use case might be moot.
>>

> Gotta love you Grarpamp. :-)
>
> But in the real world we /have/ to trust someone, somewhere, somehow,
> sometime. What everyone has to decide for themselves is /how much/ trust
> to give, to whom, when, where and why. And that depends entirely on your
> threat model and your appetite for risk.

Sorry, but with decades of both plausible and exploited risk extant,
with however many million millionaires and significant billionaires,
and crowdfunding (further enhanced by the dawn of cryptocurrency
and all its new models that can be brought to bear)... there is no
rational reason to continue this global head in sand downplay and
refusal to get moving and start building #OpenHW in #OpenFabs.
The old goalpost of who, where, how, when, and how much open
and even explicitly proven trust exists in HW / Fabs simply must
start shifting for the better until it becomes the new "real world".
Further, such trust is profitable business model.

If kids can build home semiconductor labs making open IC's,
you can bet the above sponsors with those visionaries can
easily scale beyond a billion gates.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=home+semiconductor+fab

(Obligatory credit given to #OpenSW for at least being opensource,
but they're hardly under open validation programs yet either.)