AFRICAN HISTORY MONTH

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Feb 10 13:40:12 PST 2018

On 10/02/2018 22:59, John Newman wrote:
> Bullshit. There were massive profits and raiding parties

There were raiding parties, but where we have data, which we generally
don't, most slaves were purchased from the local authorities, not
captured in raids.  So who were the local authorities selling?

Until recently, very few societies used imprisonment (and I would argue
imprisonment is a very bad idea and we should not use it either.)  If
someone caused problems, you beat him or killed him.  Suppose you beat
him, and later he causes problems some more.  What are you going to do?
You can kill him, or you can sell him into slavery.

Early colonialists and explorers report executions, lots of executions,
lots and lots of executions, rather than enslavement.By and large, there
seem to have been more executions than selling people into slavery.
Black societies had more people that they did not want around, than they
had purchasers for slaves.