Wardialing Modems Guerrilla Network Opensource Cyberspace [re: Tim May]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:19:36 PST 2018

On 12/27/18, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 05:12:18AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
>> [Now using proper Subject tech...]
>>
>> If you have a line, you can still dial each other
>> and negotiate up to 33.8kbps v.34bis,
>> add better software compression (zstd) instead
>> of depending on v.44, and add encryption algos
>> on each end. v.92 56k needed an ISP end to work.
>>
>> Companies like US Robotics and Zoom might still
>> make v.34bis hardware modems... see USR5637.
>> Lots of modems on used market.
>>
>> Full hardware modem with PCM DSP is needed
>> to do elite first pass random phone scanning that
>> analyzes the analog instead of depending on
>> successful second stage "V." protocol negotiation.
>> Plus you get as bonus all the WAV recordings of:
>> "Hello... Helloooooo?! WTF!!!" ;-)
>>
>> Anyone still have that analysis software?

> I understand that WarVOX is at least one of the more modern incarnations
> of Toneloc, uses VoIP to make a bunch of calls at the same time, other
> neat tricks.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140326101358/http://warvox.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarVOX

Sounds like the above DSP analysis tech,
but not being based on modem and hardline,
might not be the same one from earlier history.
The modem's onboard ADC would ouput per call
PCM stream back over the serial port for later
processing, FFT, etc. For sorting and
discriminating whatever picked up into fun
lists for later testing.

US Robotics later models were some that
had those extra commands.

Maybe hard to find command example docs,
and results and wav's, of that now.

https://www.reddit.com/user/mthreat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_dialing