Re: Goodlatte: “Obviously, we can’t let citizens raise money and say, ‘The government will spend my money on this purpose.’ ”

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 01:13:40 PST 2018

 On Friday, December 21, 2018, 10:55:14 PM PST, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

 >"Your rulers" on full display:

>Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), chair of the House Judiciary Committee
and a longtime proponent of tighter border security:

 > “I think it’s admirable, and I think that the country should
  respond,” Goodlatte told The Post. “Obviously, we can’t let
  https://nypost.com/2018/12/20/border-wall-gofundme-may-need-to-issue-refunds-after-millions-raised/

>Fund another brick in the wall, already >$10 million in 3 days:
  https://www.gofundme.com/thetrumpwall

One picky problem is called the "Anti-deficiency Act".     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antideficiency_Act
While this Wikipedia article doesn't clearly state it, I believe that one thing the Anti-deficiency Act prohibits is private entities from contributing  money to government projects.  Although, I don't know if the ADA would prohibit a private entity from simply building a wall, on private land, at the usual and expected distance from the border, at a location that the Federal Government wasn't planning to block....(cough, cough) (ahem, ahem...)
            Jim Bell
×