BCH finally hit the fan

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:04:19 PST 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:58:38 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote, replying to gmkarl

> And what speech occurs can
> probably be made anonymous.  How would "the rich" target their "enemies" if
> they cannot identify them?

	Jim, you are taking anonimity for granted it seems, but in reality the current system is a surveillance state and it gets worse by the day.

> I still don't understand how you expect "the rich" to know who their enemies are.  It's hard to target what you can't identify.

	Except we live in a global surveillance state.

> Rather than the AP server running at one specific, hidden location, under Augur and Ethereum, AP will run 'everywhere', potentially on hundreds of thousands or even millions of computers.   It would be pointless to try to take thousands or even tens of thousands of computers offline.

	That's a good point. After all, the key property of things like bitcoin and ethereum is that they are 'permisionless' or 'censorship resistant'

gmkarl >> AP itself provides a method to exercise power secretly.  People with
       >> more money can put bigger prices on their opponents' heads.

> You keep ignoring the question:  How do people know who "their enemies" actually are?

	Or you keep ignoring the fact that we don't have anonimity at all.

	Under the current system, the government and the corporations that reason.com love so much have complete control over the communications infrastructure. The way to fix that is to overthrow govcorp...but in order to attack them using AP we need anonimity. So unless you can destroy govcorp you won't get anonimity, but you need anonimity to destroy govcorp. Seems problematic.

> That's a good reason to want to weaken governments.  I think governments, at most, should only be asked to do what must be done collectively, even where they do that.

	as a side note, what you said is the standard 'justification' for complete communism or any other form of totalitarianism.  Because of course the phrase "what must be done collectively" is meanignless and can cover anything and everything any particular social engineer likes.